International Student Information:

Canadian licensing and training requirements are widely recognized as the most competitive in the world market. Canada is a member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) which governs international pilot standards. Persons wishing to attend a course of six months duration or less, at any level, do not require a study permit. CHTA has had many international students attend for everything from commercial pilot training, IFR ratings and conversion to Canadian license. We have had students attend from places such as Germany, Greece, Trinidad and Tobago, USA, England and China.

The exchange rate in Canada is very appealing to many students. Costs are much lower in Canada than in many other countries.

Commercial students are able to fly from zero hours to 100 hours and take the commercial pilot flight test. You are not required to obtain a private license first. Canada’s terrain and variable weather challenges pilot decision-making and improves flying skills.

Attending School in Canada

If you are a non-Canadian and are considering enrolling in a pilot program for more than 6 months, you must meet immigration requirements. If you are not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a dependent of a diplomat accredited to Canada, you must obtain student authorization. A great place to start is this Government of Canada webpage which explains the process to obtain a student visa

Student Authorization Visa

A student authorization form is issued by an immigration officer at any Canadian visa office. It allows you, after your admittance, to remain in Canada for flight training.

You will find a current list of the nearest embassy or consulate representing the country of your citizenship here.

To apply for authorization you must:

  • Have a valid passport
  • Provide a letter of acceptance from Central Helicopter Training Academy
  • Have enough money to support yourself
  • Complete an application form
  • Pay a processing fee to the immigration office

Admittance Requirements

Prior to issuing a “proof of unconditional acceptance” letter to you for Immigration Canada, we require a completed Application Form for Int’l Students 2004 including a processing fee of $500 (Cdn) payable with the application. When your application is approved and you have received your student visa the $500.00 will be available to be applied towards your flight training. Payment by credit card or Canadian money order are acceptable. DO NOT send a personal cheque or cash. Applications will be refused if incomplete.

To be accepted into Central Helicopter Training Academy’s Pilot Diploma Program’s your English Proficiency requirements are as follows:

A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper based) or 80 (internet based with no test below 20)-TOEFL code 9212, or

Visit there site here

Academic IELTS with an overall minimum score of 6.0 (with no single test score below 5.5), or

Visit there site here

CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment) with an overall band score of 50 or

visit there site here


Central Helicopter Training Academy may facilitate students in arranging transportation to and from the flight-training centre in the form of car pooling. The cost of transportation will be in addition to the flight training program costs. Outside program transportation, in the form of taxi, city bus, bicycle, etc. will be the responsibility of the student.

Contact Person

Paul Zimmer Campus Manager
Or phone: 1 – 011 + 519 637 0711
The best time to reach us is between 9AM and 5 PM Monday to Friday (EST)

Medical Insurance while in Canada

We strongly suggest that you purchase medical insurance while you are studying in Canada. There are many companies that offer Health Insurance for International students, you can Google search “Student medical insurance in Canada” for more information or you could visit UHIP


You pay for each lesson upon completion. Major credit cards are accepted. A pre-pay account system is also available.


We can assist you in making arrangements for your stay in Canada. Accommodations are very affordable in southern Ontario. You may find accommodations at one of the following links:
Renters Hotline

Welcome Service

New students will be greeted at Toronto Pearson International airport upon arrival and will be driven to there chosen accommodations.

Student Services

If you are new to Canada and need help with services that relate to religious or cultural items you may find help at one of the following links.

Cross Cultural Learner Centre
Settlement Service’s London

Academic/Career Counselling

Services provided to the student are part of Central Helicopter Training Academy’s mandate but extend beyond the Flight Training Team. Academic supports and career counseling can be obtained through the Campus Manager’s office and will utilize the resources of CHTA’s parent company, Chief Pilot, Operations Manager, and Human Resources Department, to ensure the student receives all the tools, and supports necessary to ensure a smooth transition and positive experience from student, to qualified employment applicant in the aviation flight discipline of their choice.